Let’s forget for a moment that autumn in Chicago means the inevitable snow storms, shoveling, and creative ways to claim “dibs” on parking spots are just around the corner. Ahhhhhh! Plenty of time to worry about that later! I’d rather focus on the positives here and fall is one of my favorite seasons in terms of flavors, foods, and festivities. Who’s with me? Pumpkin patch hayride anybody?!
All Orange everything! Sweet Potato, Butternut Squash, Carrots, Acorn Squash, Spaghetti Squash and Pumpkin are all staples of mine this time of year. Not only are they loaded with magnesium, vitamin A, and vitamin C but they also have tons of fiber and, if they are prepared correctly, are just delicious! Autumn is the one time of the year where everywhere you look there is something pumpkin flavored to buy. And yes, basic as it might sound, I’ve put a dash or two of pumpkin spice in my almond milk iced coffee over the past week. Let me tell you it is a game changer, a sweet little punch of flavor to rev up my mornings. I like to find creative ways to sneak fall flavors into classic fall dishes and iced coffees!
I recently shared a super quick and simple recipe for Pumpkin Bread on my Instagram (@cateskitchenfit). My pumpkin bread is gluten free, no sugar added, loaded with omega-3 and fiber and is a delicious and healthy way to start the morning along with your favorite artificial free pumpkin spice beverage.
You’ll notice the various fall favorite spices included in the bread, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Not only do they add terrific taste value, but they have tremendous benefits to your health as well. For example, spices like cinnamon and ginger wake up and boost your metabolism and also have anti-inflammatory properties.
In the coming weeks, I will continue to share some of my seasonal recipes. And trust me when I say they are SCARY good!
Fall in Love Pumpkin Bread
Gluten Free, Artificial Free, Paleo
3 organic eggs
1 can organic pumpkin purée * 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
12 packets of organic stevia or 1/3 cup coconut sugar
3 tablespoons organic coconut oil, melted
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons organic coconut flour
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 cup chia and hemp seeds for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350⁰F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper, and grease with coconut oil.
2. In a mixing bowl whisk together the pumpkin puree, vanilla, stevia, and coconut oil. Add to the eggs one at a time and mix until fully incorporated.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, spices, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Gradually mix dry into the wet mixture until fully incorporated.
4. Spread batter evenly into prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with healthy omega-3 seeds of choice. Bake for 55 minutes in preheated oven; a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf should come out clean.
5. Enjoy your amazing pumpkin bread, and do your best to not devour in one sitting